Studying Abroad: Paris 2018

I just got back from spending three weeks studying abroad in Paris, France. I am thrilled to report that it was one of the greatest experiences that I've had so far. I saw so many things, met so many people and learned so much, not just in regards to the class I took but also about myself as a person.

Going into this program, I had no clue what to expect. This was my first time taking a class for only three weeks and in the summer. This was also my first time traveling outside of the country, and I was going to be on my own.

Normally when people go abroad for the first time, it seems like their trip is for vacation and often with their family. I was determined to enjoy my trip like a vacation, however this was different because I had homework to do and my parents weren't there with me during the duration of the three weeks. My classmates and I stayed in normal Parisian apartments, scattered throughout different arondessments of the city. My apartment was a 20 minute walk from our school, so every morning I commuted by foot. Back when I went to school in Los Angeles, whenever I would take public transportation or even walk along Hollywood Boulevard, I would be approached and verbally harassed by someone. While in Paris, I somehow blended in as if I was a local. People automatically assumed that I spoke French, even after one mishap of accidentally responding in Spanish. Being treated like a local really helped me learn about the French culture. Living in an apartment in the middle of a local's community really helped me experience it first hand.

In some aspects of life, I view myself as independent. In others, I can be very dependent on things, especially people. While abroad, I was able to test how independent I could actually be. I found that I underestimated my level of independence. I found it quite easy to do many things on my own. I tried to do as much as I could with friends, whether that was going out to get lunch or studying together. But when necessary,  I felt comfortable going to the grocery store or walking home by myself. It made me feel more prepared for what life will be like in the near future. It helped me dip my toes into living life on my own.

Another interesting thing about studying abroad was that I was with people only from my school. I know that there are some study abroad programs that mix students from different schools all together, but mine didn't. It was helpful in a way because all of the friends that I was able to make, go to my school so I'll be able to see them and hang out back on campus. It also helped me make my friends. All of us were pretty much in the same boat. We didn't know many people on the trip and had a short time in a different country with a lot of things to try and enjoy. I met some amazing people on my trip that I'm incredibly glad that I was able to cross paths with. Ever since my first year of college, it was harder for me to make friends. Because of my depression, I became more introverted than I already was and it took me a while to build up enough courage to try and make a new friend. With only three weeks, this trip pushed me to be outgoing enough to be extroverted enough to get to know people. Thanks to this experience, I have built enough courage and confidence to try and make a new friend. I am extremely grateful for this skill that I've began to relearn.

Studying abroad was one of the greatest experiences of my life so far. I am so lucky to have been able to experience this amazing trip at this very point in my life. Life led me to this experience exactly when I needed it the most. It showed me how capable I can be and how to not let being on my own prevent me from getting out there more. This was the trip of a lifetime and I will never forget all the things that I learned.

Till my next adventure...

- Jillian

If anyone wants to know about the things I did and places I saw, a Photo Journal blog post is coming up next.

latest youtube video: https://youtu.be/Cm5u1oqZiXM
instagram: @jillianybarra/@jkyinthesky

Comments

Popular Posts