Sundance 2020

Hi Everyone,

Festival Navigation Tools
Recently, I was able to go to the Sundance Film Festival for a second time, to study independent film and to look at how it differs from mainstream Hollywood movies. I love this festival. Being immersed in independent film pushes me to challenge myself. I am more comfortable being uncomfortable by going to see films that I wouldn't normally go out of my way to see. I get to expand my horizons. I also enjoy the atmosphere of the festival. Everywhere you go, you're surrounded by filmmakers, buyers, actors and movie-lovers. The small town of Park City and Main Street turns into a hub for people who all appreciate the art of storytelling through film.

Driving Up the Mountain
I saw 10 films throughout the 5 days I spent at the festival. It's too difficult for me to pick favorites. Instead, here's a list of all the films that I saw and a little bit about each one. (In order of when I saw them)

1.) “Summertime” followed the stories of different individuals in Los Angeles who ended up crossing paths with one another. This film was based on spoken word poets. So, each character performed their own piece that related to their character’s journey.

Off to the Coffee Shop to do Research
2.) “Miss Americana” was a documentary on singer, Taylor Swift. This film uncovered some of the hardships that she’s faced that fans didn’t really know about as well as her current life as she’s become Miss Americana through the public eye.

3.) “The Dissident” was a documentary that investigated and informed audiences on the murder of Saudi Arabian journalist, Jamal Khashoggi.

4.) “Miss Juneteenth” followed a mother who was determined to lead her daughter to victory in the same pageant that she won when she was younger, hoping that she can give her daughter a better life.

My Set Up
5.) “Worth” takes place after the 9/11 attacks when a group of lawyers become responsible for helping victims receive money from the government. Bringing up the question “how much is a life worth”, the film shares many tragic stories from people who suffered from the attack.

6.) “Spree” follows a young man who is too desperate to be popular online and crosses so many moral lines in doing so. (My least favorite movie, the film I wish I could get my two hours back from)

Views of Main Street
7.) “Uncle Frank” takes place primarily in the 60’s and 70’s as a girl finds out that her uncle that she’s always idolized, is gay. They journey home for a funeral where Uncle Frank’s biggest fear comes true. The rest of the family finds out Uncle Frank’s secret and he doesn’t know if he’ll be accepted.

8.) “Downhill” starring Will Ferrell and Julia Louis-Dreyfus, takes
Panel and Q&A for "Miss Americana"
place on a family vacation where they encounter an avalanche. The father’s reaction startles the rest of the family and causes their vacation to take a turn.

9.) “The Killing of Two Lovers” tells the story of a man who wants to fix his marriage. It follows him as he deals with frustration, sadness and a loss of hope.

10.) “Palm Springs” starring Andy Samburg is a comedy where he is stuck living the same day over and over again, attending the
Snowy Walks from Theater to Theater
same wedding in Palm Springs. Another wedding-goer ends up stuck living the same day with him. As he has accepted his fate, the other is going crazy searching for a way out.

While at Sundance, I was also able to explore panels and other special events. I went to the Music Cafe, which I wasn't able to go to last year, and I saw LÉON. I consider her voice to resemble a mix of Maren Morris and Adele. She was incredible. The Music Cafe has performers all day and everyday and is the perfect place to discover a new artist.

Being able to experience this festival and study something that I'm so passionate about meant the world to me. It's an experience that I'll never forget and attending Sundance for a second time taught me so much more about independent film.

Chat soon,


- Jillian


Sundance Vlog coming soon
In the meantime...
instagram: @jkyinthesky
latest youtube video: First Disney Trip of the Decade Vlog!!! | https://youtu.be/mGIH3NFR-ak

Comments

Popular Posts