University Level Pressure

I  just finished my first week of my third year of college and it's becoming clear to me how much pressure is put on students of all levels, especially the University level. A full college load is commonly 12 units/credits, however at my school, the "average student" takes about 15. Last semester I stretched my limits and took 15 units and a lab. I passed all of my classes however, my gpa suffered slightly. It was the hardest semester I had ever had and it was really hard for me to do well in all my classes while balancing them with my extracurriculars. In all of my previous semesters, I had either taken 13 or just the normal full load of 12. I realized that I'd rather do well in all of my classes and take fewer, rather than taking more classes and just trying to pass. Universities put the table "average student" on those who take more than the established full load. I started thinking about the term average student and what I would be if I wasn't taking 15 units.

The pressure that comes with being a full time student increases, at least in my personal experience, with the label "average student". Universities may just mean the "typical" or "general" student but still, what about those who don't reach that standard. Are they "below average" or are they just not average enough? I doubt that Universities are trying to put pressure on students through a label, however it does not help decrease the amount of pressure students are already experiencing. Things that come into play are trying to make friends, trying to get all necessary reading done, trying to find the time to be involved with extracurriculars that you like, working, and aiming to graduate on time. People have just began to realize how much pressure has been put on young people so soon after a life transition. I feel like people should be more aware of how life altering college can be, especially during your first couple years.

The other day I was starting to get overwhelmed by the number of classes I should take this semester. After going to the first day of the ones I was registered for, I began to question if I would be able to handle it. I was having this internal argument with myself, thinking that 5 classes is too much but 4 may not be enough.
"If I take 5, what if it's like last semester and I have work due 24/7 with no time to breathe until after the final that I barely pass?"
"But if I take 4, what if I'm not busy enough and I seem lazy even though I'm getting my work done and doing better... Then what if I could've been fine taking 5?"

I'm honestly still having this internal back and forth with myself. But I officially chose to take 4 classes this semester. If I end up being behind the rest of my class because of it, so what, I'll take an intercession class. I would much rather be able to handle my course load without having a mental breakdown everyday and take classes spread out over my remaining 2 years, than pass and mentally suffer in the process. For me, this internal struggle is somewhat a result of the "15 units a semester" standard. Equalling 5 classes, 15 units is too much for me to bear myself with when there's other things that I need to get done besides school. The standard injects a level of fear into some students, myself included, that I'll either be behind or I won't graduate on time. Many mentors, advisors and friends have reassured me that I don't have to worry about graduating on time and that I'll be fine. But the standard lurks in the back of my mind, I wonder why this is a standard at all. Can't we just say "12 units is the minimum load for a full time student" and move on? As a way that Universities can help prevent extra and unnecessary pressure on their students, can they prevent themselves from setting a "standard" and just primarily encourage their students to take what they can with the credit number necessary to graduate the only thing in the back of their minds?

I've been trying to concentrate on the things that I'm doing to distract me from overthinking about the pressures of college, but there's so many other aspects of higher education that cause pressure in our everyday lives. Mental health decreases in college and pressure/stress is one of the leading causes. Mental health then goes to impact your physical health and performance in school. They're all intertwined. So much pressure is put on college students which in retrospect seems crazy. These are 17-23 year olds dealing with school, work, their own bills, sports, clubs, internships and more. It's especially crazy that these are everyday commitments that young adults are encountering in only four short years. I hope that Universities learn more methods that help their students feel less pressured during this pivotal time of their lives, and I also hope that students continue to find new ways to incorporate balance in their lives during this fast pace and crazy time. I know I'll be trying.

Here's the beginning of year 3... No pressure.

- Jillian



instagram: @jillianybarra/@jkyinthesky
latest youtube video: https://youtu.be/Cm5u1oqZiXM

Comments

Popular Posts